Many companies fail to take off and achieve targets for a simple reason: they have not learned one of the most important skills that every entrepreneur must master and say “negotiate.”
Here I would like to share some simple tips to help you become a good negotiator, and grow your business.
But what is meant by negotiation? Conceptually, the negotiation is seen as the process by which two parties agree on the benefits in both commercial and individual within the interpersonal or private.
When we start a business, we begin a negotiation that will continue for the duration of the business, negotiate with suppliers, negotiate with clients, negotiate with the banks, we negotiate with our partner, with trade associations, etc. etc… Negotiate thousands of things every day, and that is why it is necessary to learn this skill that can literally transform our business.
- Always be alert. Once you realize that the whole business revolves around the negotiation, you should always be careful and make sure you get (during a negotiation) always the maximum benefit for our company. When you’re on the phone when you’re with a client, when submitting a quote or when you submit a quote, you should always negotiate. This has to come into your mind and your way of being.
- Before deciding, consult. During a negotiation often face problems of which you are not familiar with, so before making a decision on matters that are not familiar with, consult with experts. For example, a tax issue should be discussed with an accountant. A production problem with an engineer and a problem of “working conditions” with a specialist in the field of human resources. This does not mean you have to work with all these people, but we need to develop a network of useful contacts that can help you to see the best options during a negotiation.
- Establish a pleasant climate. If the climate is friendly to negotiate a pleasure. Lunch, breakfast, a coffee is opportunities to facilitate a business meeting. It ‘not advisable to take a difficult decision in a stressful condition (offices, workplaces, etc.).. For some reason there are big businessmen that their decisions to take up a relaxing golf course…
- Always apply the principle of win-win. When you search the benefits for your business, this does not necessarily mean that your partner has to lose. In fact, the best negotiations are those where both parties perceive a high degree of satisfaction and fair. According to this principle, in fact, either party may accept a lose-win situation if you want to keep the relationship and only if this is more valuable than financial gain.
- Learn to listen. A good negotiator is a good “listener”. A trade is expected to analyze in detail the arguments of your party. Who listens to find opportunities for discussion and requests to him.
- Be moderate. Moderation is the virtue of big business. Do not rush, listen before speaking, not to get angry and do not despair, always give good results. E ‘must remain in control even when the other party causes. If you learn to maintain self control you will be advantaged in the way of business.
- Never give it all away. A bad entrepreneur is one who offers all the benefits right away without the other party so requests. In the negotiations proceed step by step, and from you receive. Gradually increase both the supply and the limits previously discussed. Avoid situations “all or nothing” because it leaves no way out and may in some cases cut off.
- Work on interpersonal relationships. We speak then to prepare the field because it is much easier to negotiate with someone with whom you have certain empathy rather than a complete stranger. Managing relationships is actually one of the most important skills in this process. Be careful, cheerful, fun and create a pleasant atmosphere will facilitate the process.
- Be true to your values and principles. This should be a key priority. Whenever you perceive a threat to moral, ethical or commercial, gently and simply explain to your partner that is not in your intentions to continue the negotiations.
- Be sure to close the deal with a compromise. The negotiation is based on the words, but formal agreements must be made with the signing of a document, a quote or any physical element that binds the parties to the Agreement.
Remember, learning to negotiate is a skill that becomes a big help, especially for small businesses. Learning to properly use negotiation techniques often makes the difference between a small income and a great profit.